The Dog in a Wheelchair and His Beautiful Human


Every morning, before my oldest got his driver's license and took over the task, I would pick up some neighborhood friends in the morning and shuttle everyone to school.  En route, daily we would see this man walking his dog whose back legs were secured into a wheelchair and I instantly wanted him as a subject for Poetry in People.  I spent WEEKS of seeing him, waiting for the moment to capture him (from a safely parked car).
While he, himself, never smiled back (or conveyed any emotion whatsoever, for that matter) as we passed each day, with our noses pressed to the windows of the car and all of us excitedly and uncontrollably beaming at the loveliness of the pair, I can palpably feel the beauty in his soul.  Imagine the patience it takes to ready the dog each morning.  This same patience he offers the dog as it frequently tires and lays down to rest.  He waits -- no tug or harsh words -- until the dog is ready to move again.
Sir, you can't fool me by your rough exterior.  You are absolutely (as I would assert ALL dog people are!) a wonderful human.  And I'm grateful for the moments I got to spend peeking into your world each morning.  (It kind of makes me miss taxiing everyone around.)

Comments

Popular Posts