Strength in Time (or, What Doesn't Kill You)


Sometimes, maybe you see a person and you can just tell: They've seen shit in their lives; they've been through shit. BUT, they came out on top. They CONTINUE to come out on top, and perhaps even stronger.  When I saved this photo to my computer and had to give it a name, I reflected on exactly what this man spoke to me and I ended up titling it "Strength in Time" because that's exactly what he conveys to me. That trite old (but damn, damn true) adage - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And this is a man who can handle shit. Those arms. Those gorgeous arms. This is a man who has literally and figuratively carried the world. And corona virus? Yeah, he'll wear his mask but it's just one more thing he'll swat away.

As I snapped his photo, a profound respect bubbled through me for this man. As so many others are tucked away, hiding, scared, walled in with the comforts of the privilege that comes from posh jobs, there are people that choose to live fearlessly; who face things with courage.

When I finally left him, he locked eyes with me and smiled THE MOST BEAUTIFUL smile at me. Wide and genuine. And I blushed from the warmth of it and gave a little wave. This man is life and strength and endurance personified; he is the tribulations and the beauty in life all in one. And I crave his stories. I bet he has some good ones.

Comments

Popular Posts